Thursday, July 2, 2020

Legal Geek - A Final Summary/Judgment, for now

"Hi, and welcome back to Legal Geek!"



Those words have led off the Legal Geek segment for over 6 years. Hard to believe it's been that long.

When Current Geek relaunched as a show in 2013, I had been looking for a way to extend my growing passion/hobby for audio content production into the field where I spend my "day job," that being an attorney. A weekly show in the Frogpants community that covered geeky news on a regular basis seemed to be a perfect place for me to share my thoughts and explanations on legal cases and current events, especially where they blended into my fields of interest, including intellectual property and geek-dom.

So I took a bit of a flier and asked Scott Johnson and Tom Merritt if they would play my segments at the end of their Current Geek episodes beginning in January 2014. They graciously agreed, and that led to 202 Legal Geek segments over the next 6+ years. Considering I started a few episodes into this iteration of Current Geek and the fact that they had 257 total episodes between 2013-2020, there were not too many weeks where Legal Geek was missing at the end of the show. Back when the Current Geek show was more oriented around guests, I was even brought on once as a primary show guest in 2017 in episode 137 entitled "Legal Things."

The segment challenged me in ways I couldn't expect, but in a good way as I tried to explain legal decisions and concepts quickly so they could be understood by the common man. It's also led to some fun unexpected personal anecdotes like the time when I was recognized by voice as being "the Legal Geek guy" at a Pokemon Go raid in Cincinnati...the reach of the show and my segment never ceased to surprise like that. Similar experiences at conventions like GenCon and Nerdtacular happened over the years as well. It was amazing to find a voice in this community and contribute what I could.

Which brings us to this post and July 2020. 

Current Geek stopped in its current form at episode 257 in April 2020 and is preparing to relaunch in a completely different show style and production entitled Current Geek Chronicles. Unfortunately, the fully produced Chronicles show with its limited-run seasons no longer jives well with tacking Legal Geek segments on at the end. I've been informed that if I am invited to participate in Chronicles, it will be as a guest/expert on one of their deep dives rather than as a weekly feature. 

Thus, the Legal Geek segment also ends with the end of the prior version of Current Geek. 

I do not have the time currently to build Legal Geek into a longer show that stands on its own, although I appreciate the suggestions from quite a few listeners over the years that indicated I should consider doing so. I certainly wouldn't rule that out in the future if/when the time demands of serving on the lead management committee at my law firm and raising my 3 daughters lessens in future years. Moreover, if another home for a geeky legal segment becomes a good fit in the future, I would consider firing up Legal Geek segments again. Of course, I will always remain available to come on shows and provide my voice and expertise as needed. 

Despite being a bit sad over the current end of such a good and fun endeavor, I sincerely appreciate Scott and Tom for allowing me to be a part of this past version of Current Geek. On good advice from Tom a few years ago, I started archiving all the segments and so you can always revisit them if certain topics are of interest: https://archive.org/details/%40buckeyefitzy?and%5B%5D=subject%3A%22Legal+Geek%22&sort=-publicdate&page=3

But for now, it's time to officially sign off on this iteration of Legal Geek (insert Law&Order sound byte here). 

Thank you for listening over the past 6+ years and I look forward to seeing you in whatever the next endeavors look like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment